PDA

View Full Version : Translators

Kyobanim
03-04-2006, 16:03
I was watching a show on the 10th Mountain this afternoon and they were demonstrating the electronic translator they were prepping to deploy. Has anyone seen this or can you point me to a URL? I didn't catch the name of the device or mfg.

Very cool device and I would suspect very handy. You could choose what you wanted it to say and it would add all of the appropriate honorifics and such for the chosen language.

shadowflyer
03-04-2006, 20:49
Search Phraselator

SERPENT5XX
03-05-2006, 05:34
Gentlemen,

We looked into these at 5th Group. They are better than nothing but are not a substitute for learning the language. When these things were demonstrated at the language lab, several of the phrases “spoken” by the box elicited polite laughter from the native speaking language instructors. I guess some of the responses where slightly off or sometimes completely off base.

Maybe there have been improvements since then as this was a couple of years ago.

Some things to think about:

The understanding of a culture comes in large part through the study of a specific language. So if you stop studying the language you miss out on subtle cultural understanding that may make or break your mission.

A great deal of rapport can be gained by even knowing a few phrases of a language. Many cultures are seriously impressed if you know even a few words of their language.

Many cultures are insulted by the use of these types of things. I have found this to be true in the Middle East, especially with the older segments of the population. They considered it fairly insulting when you used the box with them. The younger people found it entertaining, but mainly due to their love of technology.

Keep in mind, I am in no way saying these tools are bad and/or that you should not use them, just understand the limitations they have and NEVER try to substitute technology for training.

Unfortunately there are personalities within the military and SOF that want a quick solution to the language issue. Much like the self-shooting weapon, they believe they can cut corners with a piece of gear. Its all good until that self-ranging, gyro stabilized super gun breaks and you are forced to pick up a rusty AK and apply the fundamentals of marksmanship.

Same goes for language.

I am not ranting here, just trying to present all the info for anyone who is interested. :D

Take care,

SERPENT5XX

The Reaper
03-05-2006, 09:12
Agreed, typical tech solution pursued to avoid work and skills.

This will be the solution for all of the units who now want to do FID, without spending the time learning the language and culture.

If you had to because of circumstances, like the 10th Mtn and conventional Army did, that is fine. If you are advertising the capability, you need to do it the old fashioned way and spend the time learning.

That will be the problem with the Marines (and AFSOC). They will be promoting the ability to do FID in any nation, when we have 7 Groups of 54 teams each with regional orientation and different language skills, and still can't keep up with it.

TR

Warrior-Mentor
03-05-2006, 15:35
Agreed, typical tech solution pursued to avoid work and skills.

This will be the solution for all of the units who now want to do FID, without spending the time learning the language and culture.

That's like wanting to do CQB without spending time on a flat range doing up drills and transitions...gotta have tha basics down BEFORE you get yourself into trouble.

JM