PDA

View Full Version : iPods for SF training?

greg_monterey
02-28-2006, 22:39
Hey, all. I just joined the forums. I work for SWCS and I'd like to get some of your feedback on iPods for SF training. Particularly, would it be helpful or just another toy? I'm looking at taking the language course and porting it to the iPod. If you guys are interested I may be able to go into more detail but I wanted to throw it out there to see what you guys thought.
Thanks

Eagle5US
03-01-2006, 00:16
Hi Greg...

We think you should read the rules, fill out your profile, and make your first post in the introductions thread.

Eagle

Huey14
03-01-2006, 00:18
I used mine for my Chinese lessons. I appropriated them with a flash drive from the Uni computers. Helped, but then you can't record yourself saying it back again.

The boss' will ask you to post an intro, too.

greg_monterey
03-01-2006, 00:43
Ok looks like I did the prelims. sorry about that I just got a bit ahead of myself I suppose. So I'm going to do a pilot with 2 classes starting next week and I welcome your candid comments.

SERPENT5XX
03-04-2006, 13:45
Greg,

I have used an i-pod to study Russian for quite some time. I have conversation and vocabulary CD’s provided by my Group’s language lab that I have “ripped” and placed on my i-pod using the software that comes with the MP3 player.

I also have music in Russian. Listening to music in your target language is great for developing your “ear” to pick out words. This will greatly assist in your listening ability. Make sure and have songs by both male and female artists included in your collection.

Good luck,

SERPENT5XX

The Reaper
03-04-2006, 16:34
I also have music in Russian. Listening to music in your target language is great for developing your “ear” to pick out words. This will greatly assist in your listening ability. Make sure and have songs by both male and female artists included in your collection.

Good luck,

SERPENT5XX

Absolutely a great technique, as is listening to radio or television broadcasts.

I sat and listened to a couple of hours of salsa and meringue music just before my last DLPT and maxed it out for the first time ever.

TR

SS02
03-04-2006, 19:06
Greg,

I loaded Anthony Robbins Personal Power II into my I-pod, several weeks ago. I have been using it while rucking, and been happy with the additional mental work out I get.

-RG

GackMan
03-05-2006, 22:23
Greg,

I sent you a PM on this, the thread was locked at the time, so I'll post it out here for discussion's sake.

I wish they had MP3 players when I was at DLI. I lived with a damn walkman in my ear almost every where I went.

It doesn't have to be an iPOD; any MP3 player will work. But if you have budget for 2 classes worth of iPODs then go for it.

It would be easy to implement and plenty of return on the investment - only cost would be time to implement and a stack of blank CDs.

I'd suggest is ripping all the language training CDs to MP3 and issuing them on day 1 with all the other course materials. Easy bang for the buck. You would only have to do it once, burn the CDs, and then just put it in the course material from then on out, even if you are not issuing the MP3s, you'll still have the ground laid to issue the MP3s to every class. that way, those personnel with MP3 players will not have to do it them selves... or the knuckledraggers won't have to figure it out ;)

MP3s would also make it quick and easy to issue distribute and updated training material, current events, up to date news stories, conversation practice, etc.

anyway, that is just some thoughts on it.

skipjack
03-05-2006, 22:51
I've been listening to Indonesian on my Mp3 player for the past 2 weeks and it has helped dramatically during language block I. I'll let you know how things work out when I finish with the DLPT (I already have a 1/1) this summer after Phase III.

-skipjack

greg_monterey
03-06-2006, 15:09
Right. DLI has already implemented this strategy. My teams were issued iPods with their initial issue. All of the course audio has been transferred. A major benefit is that we are no longer tied to "listening labs" The iPod virtually eliminates the necessity of being tied to the classroom. I can envision lane training at Camp Freedom where you go through your scenarios and iPods can be placed at various locations to give you instructions or information in the target language. It could reduce the number of contract role players. Thanks for all the responses. I would like to ask another question, do you think a PDA would serve you better than an iPod during language training?

MtnGoat
03-06-2006, 15:33
[QUOTE=GackMan]Greg,

It doesn't have to be an iPOD; any MP3 player will work. But if you have budget for 2 classes worth of iPODs then go for it.

It would be easy to implement and plenty of return on the investment - only cost would be time to implement and a stack of blank CDs.

I'd suggest is ripping all the language training CDs to MP3 and issuing them on day 1 with all the other course materials. Easy bang for the buck. You would only have to do it once, burn the CDs, and then just put it in the course material from then on out, even if you are not issuing the MP3s, you'll still have the ground laid to issue the MP3s to every class. that way, those personnel with MP3 players will not have to do it them selves... or the knuckledraggers won't have to figure it out ;)

Greg,

I would agree with GackMan on the cost factor. A lot of SF units and people are using MP3 in general as a learning tool. Just get what you need don't go name brand..

You can also look at the MP4's for video language programs usage too. That if you have the $500.00 to throw at your problem. Best cost just a basic MP3 off the NET will work.