PDA

View Full Version : Disease Management!

Guy
01-23-2004, 14:57
During my time in Iraq, most of the guy's where down with URI's (Upper Respiratory Infections).

Tx:

Doxcy
Sudefed
Immodium for the shits...if they had them.

My supplies were limited at the time.:(

CPTAUSRET
01-23-2004, 15:56
How long did you keep your guys on antibiotics (Doxycycline)?

You continue to administer the same antibiotics for reocurrences?

Terry

Doc T
01-23-2004, 16:04
Originally posted by Guy
During my time in Iraq, most of the guy's where down with URI's (Upper Respiratory Infections).

Tx:

Doxcy
Sudefed
Immodium for the shits...if they had them.

My supplies were limited at the time.:(

how long did the URI's last? most URIs in the states are viral... are most over there bacterial in etiology?

is doxy part of your supplies because of anthrax? thought you were all immunized... just curious.

doc t.

Surgicalcric
01-23-2004, 22:54
Originally posted by Doc T
...is doxy part of your supplies because of anthrax?...
doc t.

Come on...fess up...

SF medics carry it more for treating chlamydia and gonorrhea. lol :D

The Reaper
01-23-2004, 23:08
Originally posted by Surgicalcric
Come on...fess up...

SF medics carry it more for treating chlamydia and gonorrhea. lol :D

Treating, Hell.

HFCUIDOC told us it was prophylactic and if you had enough of it in your system, you were immune!

Guy
01-24-2004, 07:13
Originally posted by Doc T
how long did the URI's last? most URIs in the states are viral... are most over there bacterial in etiology?

is doxy part of your supplies because of anthrax? thought you were all immunized... just curious.

doc t.

We were using doxcy as a Tx for the prevention of malaria until we were told not to worry about it.

I usually kept them on it for 5 days. I just had to keep them "up and running"!

As far as labs on if it was bacterial-vs-viral...the pace was to fast to even check.

Doc T
01-24-2004, 09:05
Originally posted by Guy

As far as labs on if it was bacterial-vs-viral...the pace was to fast to even check.

I wasn't expecting you to have sent cultures...lol... was just curious if they saw a different mix of URIs over there...

Sacamuelas
01-26-2004, 09:40
One benefit of using Doxy on top of a viral URI could be the prevention of an opportunistic bacterial infection developing in a stressed/tired/undernourished patient. Although, I must admit it is unlikely in young/healthy patients that are taking decongestants such as sudafed.

Please don't feel the need to go into the causes of superinfection and/or bacterial verses viral treatments. I am just trying to post a potential positive result from using doxy to treat a disease that is likely viral. With no way to confirm cause and no means to treat viral infections in the field (short of standard support for symptoms), I just thought I would throw this out.

GUY-
I've used Doxy for malaria prevention as well. However I didn't use it in a desert ( it was greener where I was). In your experience so far, has anyone had the photosensitivity side-effect with it? I would think that being where you were (desert), another med option might be better.